RECOMMENDED TOOLS AND MATERIALS:
- CARBIDE SAW BLADES & SAW
- TAPE MEASURE
- NAILS, SCREWS OR DECK FASTENERS
- SAFETY GLASSES
- MARKING CHALK OR PENCIL
- PROTECTIVE CLOTHING
- SCREW GUN OR HAMMER
- HEARING PROTECTION
- Section includes drawings and all provisions of the contract that apply.
- Cellular Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) decking.
1.02 SYSTEM DESCRIPTION
A. The contractor shall provide a cellular, PVC deck of the design, style and strength defined herein. This PVC material is specially formulated for outdoor use with superior color hold and impact resistant properties after extended outdoor exposure. Color shall be white, tan, or gray.
VEKAdeck™ should not be used for columns, support posts,
beams, joists, stringers or other primary load-bearing members.
- General: Submit the following according to the conditions of the contract.
- Product Data: In the form of manufacturer’s technical data, specifications, and installations for decking.
- Samples: To verify color of PVC components, provide 6-inch length of the actual product that will be used in color selection.
- Shop Drawings: Submit shop drawings showing layout, profiles, and product components, including anchorage, accessories, and finish colors.
- Quality Assurance Submittals: Submit the following:
- Test Reports: Certified test reports showing compliance with specified performance, characteristics, and physical properties. Include copies of selected test reports by third-party test laboratories verifying the compliance of the decking with applicable building codes upon request.
- Compliance Reports: Research reports or evaluation reports of the International Residential Code Council acceptable to authorities having jurisdiction. Provide evidence that the cellular PVC decking is in compliance with applicable building code in effect for project.
- Certificates: Product certificates signed by the manufacturer certifying that materials comply with specified performance characteristics and criteria and physical requirements.
- Warranty: Warranty documents specified herein.
1.04 QUALITY ASSURANCE
- PVC Decking Installer Qualifications: Engage a VEKA licensed fabricator to ensure successful completion of project.
- Manufacturer Qualifications: Manufacturer should be capable of providing field service representation during construction and should be capable of approving acceptable installer and application methods.
1.05 PROJECT CONDITIONS
- Field Measurements: Verify layout information for decking shown on the drawings in relation to the property survey and existing structures. Verify dimensions by field measurements.
Part 2 - Products
2.01 DECKING MATERIALS
- General: Provide PVC decking materials recognized to be of type indicated and tested to show compliance with indicated performances.
- Manufacturer: Subject to compliance with requirements, manufacturers offering products that may be incorporated in the work include:
- Veka Incorporated, 100 Veka Drive, Fombell, PA 16123
2.02 PRODUCT SUBSTITUTIONS
A. Substitutions: No substitutions permitted.
Note: Stainless steel or galvanized fasteners should be of sufficient size and strength to support local code requirements.
2.03 DECKING COMPONENTS
- PVC Decking Materials is a one-piece, reinforced cellular PVC extruded in lengths indicated with a suitable slip resistant walking surface. The cross section of the deck plank is 1" x 5.5".
2.04 MISCELLANEOUS MATERIALS
- Fasteners: Anchorage: All fasteners shall be stainless steel with either concealed or color matched heads. Provide sizes as recommended by manufacturer.
Part 3 - Execution
- Site Verification: Verify foundation conditions to be sure that they are acceptable for product installation in accordance with that manufacturer’s instructions.
- The contractor in accordance with the construction plans shall layout all new installations.
- VEKAdeck™ should not be used for columns, support posts, beams, joists, stringers or other primary load-bearing members.
3.03 DECKING INSTALLATION
- General Installation
- Install decking in using a 16-inch center to center joist span.
- Install 2 deck screws at each joist.
- Each screw should be placed 1inch in from them edge and end of the board.
- When installing by screwing two screws through the deck into the joists from above, an 1/8-inch gap in the width-to-width direction will be satisfactory. Maximum width-to-width spacing should be 1/4''.
- Depending on climate, if the decking is installed on what is considered a hot day, it should be gapped 1/16'' end to end. If the installation takes place on what is considered a cold day 3/16'' gap should be used. Finally, if the boards are being installed on what is considered a moderate day an 1/8'' gap should be used.
- Wherever deck boards are installed end to end, a double joist is required to fasten the deck board to the joists.
- Variation from the installation must be approved and the cost for removal and/or replacement of material from the result of a variation will be the contractor’s responsibility.
- Wash using a soft cloth or ordinary long-handled soft bristle brush.
- For difficult to remove dirt and stains such as top soil, motor oil, lithium grease, etc. use the readily available household cleaners such as:
- Murphy’s oil soap
- Vinegar and water
- In some cases you may wish to use mildly abrasive cleaner, such as cleansers or a paste-like scrubbing solution. Use of abrasive material could have a negative effect on the surface of the fence.
- Do not use cleaners containing aggressive organic solvents because they could affect the surface appearance of the vinyl. Examples of such cleaners are: chlorine bleach, liquid grease remover, strong soaps, and detergents containing organic solvents, nail polish remover, and furniture polish/cleaners.